UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI
The objective is to ensure staff who contravene rules and regulations of the University face fair
disciplinary system. Staff at the University are guided in their performance and conduct by the
University Quality Manual, Service Charter, Terms of Service documents, Collective Bargaining
Agreements in force, individual assigned Job descriptions, Code of Conduct and Public Officers
Ethics Act and all the other applicable laws of the Republic of Kenya.
The applicable disciplinary procedure is as here below:
1) The Staff supervisor namely, Head of Department/ Unit identifies and reports contravention/
breach of Terms of Service to the / Vice-Chancellor through the hierarchical protocol.
2) The Vice-Chancellor requires a brief from the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (A&F) which he
considers for further direction.
3) The relevant authority i.e. Principal/DVC A&F issues a “show cause letter”.
4) If the Vice-Chancellor authorizes disciplinary action, the Registrar, Administration crafts the
charges in consultation with the Legal Office.
5) Based on the crafted charges, the Director SWA/Principal/DVCs/Vice Chancellor takes
action (i.e.) either to end the case or approves the case to be considered by a Disciplinary
6) The concerned staff is notified of the charges and dates when to appear before a Disciplinary
7) The Disciplinary Committee interviews the defendant and makes recommendations to the
Vice-Chancellor for action.
8) The recommendations are approved and implemented by either the Vice-Chancellor or
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (A&F).
|DISCIPLINARY PROCEDURE.pdf||169.9 KB|